Originally part of the Bergen County area known as Godwinville and
then Ridgewood, Glen Rock voted to become a borough in 1894. The
rock from which the borough took its name was deposited at the end
of the last ice age by a retreating glacier. Local folklore tells
of Native Americans, the Lenni Lenape, holding meetings on the
rock. Early settlers used the rock as a landmark in deeds for the
farms they created out of the heavily wooded land. Local streams
powered gristmills and sawmills. By 1842, trains brought goods to
the area, and within a decade, passenger trains carried the first
of the daily commuters to and from New York City.
Glen Rock, a photographic journey, documents the growth of the
community from the late 1880s through the late 1950s. The early
strawberry fields, farms, mills, and hotels made way for today's
stores and homes. The dirt roads once used by horse and buggy,
stagecoach, and bicycle were paved for early automobiles. The
original schools became too small to hold the growing number of
children, and new schools were built. Glen Rock's leaders created
municipal departments, civic organizations, emergency services,
businesses, and places of worship. Parades, picnics, and pageants
entertained Glen Rockers. Wars and the Great Depression brought
citizens together, and residents gathered to help each other and
Is the information for this product incomplete, wrong or inappropriate?
Let us know about it.
Does this product have an incorrect or missing image?
Send us a new image.
Is this product missing categories?
Add more categories.
Review This Product
No reviews yet - be the first to create one!