A Student-Centered Approach to Learning and Studying Organic Chemistry.
Wade & Simek’s Ninth Edition of Organic Chemistry presents key principles of organic chemistry in the context of fundamental reasoning and problem solving. Authored to complement how students use a textbook today, new Problem Solving Strategies, Partially Solved Problems, Visual Reaction Guides and Reaction Starbursts encourage students to use the text before class as a primary introduction to organic chemistry as well as a comprehensive study tool for working problems and/or preparing for exams. With unparalleled and highly refined pedagogy, this Ninth edition gives students a contemporary overview of organic principles and the tools for organizing and understanding reaction mechanisms and synthetic organic chemistry.
This title is a Pearson Global Edition. The Editorial team at Pearson has worked closely with educators around the world to include content which is especially relevant to students outside the United States.
- Organic Chemistry offers the following features to facilitate learning:
- Highly refined presentation and features present key principles of organic chemistry in the context of fundamental reasoning and problem solving.
- New! Expanded coverage of Acid/Base Chemistry in Chapter 2 and separation of the material on Substitution and Elimination into two distinct chapters allow students to build upon their existing knowledge and move through their first mechanisms with greater clarity and with more opportunities to test and apply their understanding without getting overwhelmed.
- NEW! Problem Solving Strategies have been added and explicitly highlighted in each chapter, including new strategies for resonance, acid-base equilibria, and multistep synthesis.
- NEW! Green chemistry is emphasized with presentation of less-toxic, environmentally friendly reagents in many situations, such as oxidation of alcohols with bleach rather than with chromium reagents.
- NEW! Chapter Openers focus on applications discussed in the chapter, with introductions and images for a more enticing, contemporary presentation.
- NEW! Reaction Starbursts appear before the end of chapter material of every ‘reaction-based chapter’ to help students better understand and mentally organize reactive similarities and distinctions.
- NEW! Visual Guides to Organic Reactions place the reactions covered in major chapters within the overall context of the reactions covered in the course.
- NEW! Over 100 new problems include more synthesis problems and problems based on recent literature.
- 20 Key Mechanism boxes highlight the fundamental mechanistic principles that recur throughout the course and are the basis for some of the longer, more complex mechanisms. Each describes the steps of the reaction in detail with a specific example to reinforce the mechanism and a concluding problem to help students absorb these essential reactions.
- Over 50 Mechanism boxes help students understand how specific reactions occur by zooming in on each individual step in detail.
- UPDATED! Art has been revised throughout to provide consistency and clarity in the text, giving students access to detailed representations of molecular and orbital art.
Essential Problem Solving Skills help students navigate problems and key topics in the text.
MasteringChemistry™ not included. Students, if MasteringChemistry is a recommended/mandatory component of the course, please ask your instructor for the correct ISBN and course ID. MasteringChemistry should only be purchased when required by an instructor. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
MasteringChemistry is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment system, designed to improve results by engaging students before, during, and after class with powerful content. Instructors ensure students arrive ready to learn by assigning educationally effective content before class, and encourage critical thinking and retention with in-class resources such as Learning Catalytics™.
Is the information for this product incomplete, wrong or inappropriate?
Let us know about it.
Does this product have an incorrect or missing image?
Send us a new image.
Is this product missing categories?
Add more categories.
Review This Product
No reviews yet - be the first to create one!