Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of
articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online.
Pages: 31. Chapters: All Saints Church (New York City),
Annunciation School (New York), Blessed Sacrament Church (Bronx,
New York), Church of St. Francis of Assisi and St. Blaise
(Brooklyn, New York), Church of the Guardian Angel (Manhattan),
Convent of the Sacred Heart (New York), Holy Angels Catholic
Academy, Holy Cross Church (Bronx, New York), Holy Rosary Church
(Manhattan), Immaculate Conception Church (Bronx, New York),
Incarnation School Washington Heights, Notre Dame Academy (New
York), Our Lady of Mercy's Church (Bronx, New York), Our Lady of
Mount Carmel's Church (Bronx, New York), Our Lady of Solace's
Church (Bronx, New York), Sacred Heart of Jesus School New York,
Saint David's School (New York City), Saint Frances Cabrini School,
Brooklyn, Shrine Church of St. Ann (Bronx, New York), St. Anthony's
Church (Bronx, New York), St. Anthony of Padua Church (Bronx, New
York), St. Athanasius's Church (Bronx, New York), St. Augustine's
Church (Bronx, New York), St. Barnabas' Church (Bronx, New York),
St. Clare of Assisi's Church (Bronx, New York), St. Francis
Xavier's Church (Bronx, New York), St. Francis Xavier Elementary
School, St. James Elementary School (New York), St. John's Church
(Bronx, New York), St. John Chrysostom's Church (Bronx, New York),
St. Nicholas of Tolentine's Church (Bronx, New York), St. Philip
Neri's Church (Bronx, New York), St Brigid's School (New York), St
Joseph School Chinatown, St Philip Neri Elementary School. Excerpt:
The Church of the Guardian Angel is a Roman Catholic church in the
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 193 Tenth
Avenue, Chelsea, Manhattan, New York City, New York. The present
Southern Sicilian Romanesque-style brick church at 193 West 23rd
Street and Tenth Avenue was built 1930 to the designs of John Van
Pelt of Van Pelt, Hardy & Goubert. Plan were filed in 1929, and
it was likely begun that year. Stylistically, it is similar to Van
Pelt's other churches in Manhattan and the Bronx. The church design
"is reminiscent of the early Romanesque sculpture at the abbey of
Moissac. Both churches have a scalloped profile that seems to
incorporate a bit of Moorish influence. Both the human and animal
forms are treated with the same incredible flexibility...." The AIA
Guide to New York City (1988) writes "The church's simple brick and
limestone Southern Sicilian Romanesque facade merges with the
Tuscan village forms of auxiliary buildings to the north in a well-
related group." AIA Guide to New York City (2010) describes the
church as "lush brick and limestone, Italian Romanesque, backed up
snug against the High Line. Despite the obvious difference in style
and materials, the two were built around the same time." The parish
was founded in 1888 by the Rev. William A. O'Neill, who remained
pastor until 1895 when he was transferred to St. Ann's as rector.
The first church was dedicated June 10, 1888 by Bishop Conroy. The
address for the first church was located at 513 West 23rd Street,
as recorded in 1892. The parish was founded to minister to workers
at the bustling waterfront piers on the nearby Hudson River. A new
church was completed in 1910 to the designs of George H. Streeton
also at 513 West 23rd Street, replacing the 1888 church building.
"In 1911, a parochial school was opened." In 1914, the following
was reported: "The Catholic population numbers 3,000, and the
church property is valued at $60,000, all out of debt." That area's
redevelopment in the 1930
Books LLC, Wiki Series
|Country of origin:
||246 x 189 x 2mm (L x W x T)
||Paperback - Trade
Is the information for this product incomplete, wrong or inappropriate?
Let us know about it.
Does this product have an incorrect or missing image?
Send us a new image.
Is this product missing categories?
Add more categories.
Review This Product
No reviews yet - be the first to create one!