Most fort histories end when the military lowers the flag for
the last time and the soldiers march out. In contrast, Fort
Robinson--occupied and used for more than fifty years since its
abandonment by the U.S. army--has taken on new roles. This book
recounts the story of this famous northwestern Nebraska army post
as it underwent remarkable transformation in the first half of the
In the early 1900s, Fort Robinson hosted the last of the African
American buffalo soldiers to serve in Nebraska. In the 1920s and
1930s the fort procured and issued thousands of horses for the U.S.
army's largest remount depot. During World War II, Fort Robinson
housed the army's primary war dog training center and served as a
major internment camp for German prisoners of war. After 1948, Fort
Robinson became a beef research center and is now the state's
"Fort Robinson and the American Century, 1900-1948," is based on
more than twenty years of archival research as well as the personal
recollections of the men and women who served at the fort. More
than ninety photographs and five maps supplement the narrative.
Is the information for this product incomplete, wrong or inappropriate?
Let us know about it.
Does this product have an incorrect or missing image?
Send us a new image.
Is this product missing categories?
Add more categories.
Review This Product
No reviews yet - be the first to create one!