High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! Peel towers (also spelt
pele) are small fortified keeps or tower houses, built along the
English and Scottish borders in the Scottish Marches and North of
England, intended as watch towers where signal fires could be lit
by the garrison to warn of approaching danger. By an Act of
Parliament in 1455 each of these towers was required to have an
iron basket on its summit and a smoke or fire signal, for day or
night use, ready at hand. A line of these towers was built in the
1430s across the Tweed valley from Berwick to its source, as a
response to the dangers of invasion from the Marches. Others were
built in Cumberland, Westmorland and Northumberland, and as far
south as Lancashire, in response to the threat of attack from the
Scots and the Border Reivers of both nationalities.
Is the information for this product incomplete, wrong or inappropriate?
Let us know about it.
Does this product have an incorrect or missing image?
Send us a new image.
Is this product missing categories?
Add more categories.
Review This Product
No reviews yet - be the first to create one!