High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles Adlington Hall is a
country house in Cheshire, England. The oldest part of the existing
building, the Great Hall, was constructed between 1480 and 1505;
the east wing was added in 1581. The Legh family has lived in the
hall and in previous buildings on the same site since the early
14thcentury. After the house was occupied by Parliamentary forces
during the Civil War, changes were made to the north wing,
including encasing the Great Hall in brick, inserting windows, and
installing an organ in the Great Hall. In the 18thcentury the house
was inherited by Charles Legh who organised a series of major
changes. These included building a new west wing, which
incorporated a ballroom, and a south wing with a large portico. It
is possible that Charles Legh himself was the architect for these
additions. He also played a large part in planning and designing
the gardens, woodland and parkland, which included a number of
buildings of various types, including a bridge known as the Chinese
Bridge that carried a summerhouse.
Book on Demand
|Country of origin:
• Ronald Cohn
||210 x 148 x 8mm (L x W x T)
||Paperback - Trade
Is the information for this product incomplete, wrong or inappropriate?
Let us know about it.
Does this product have an incorrect or missing image?
Send us a new image.
Is this product missing categories?
Add more categories.
Review This Product
No reviews yet - be the first to create one!