Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of
articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online.
Fort Independence was a fort built in 1775 on Mount Independence
next to Lake Champlain. It was placed directly across from Fort
Ticonderoga to help fortify the approach to Albany. The intent was
to provide a combined, two-shore defense to approaching British
Forces. The stone crafted Fort Ticonderoga, that was originally
built as Fort Carillon by the French in 1756, was misplaced to
effectively repel an attack from the north. The joint two-shore
defense, mainly headed by engineer Colonel Jeduthan Baldwin who
arrived in February 1777, included a 400-yard (370 m) heavy log
boom across a narrow just up the lake, a 12-foot (3.7 m) wide
bridge to cross between the two forts, two blockhouses to guard
Mount Hope and the Lake George outlet, and three new redoubts on
the Ticonderoga side of the bank. All of the extended defenses
would require 10,000 troops.
Is the information for this product incomplete, wrong or inappropriate?
Let us know about it.
Does this product have an incorrect or missing image?
Send us a new image.
Is this product missing categories?
Add more categories.
Review This Product
No reviews yet - be the first to create one!